The goal is to completely end extreme poverty (defined as living on 1.25 dollars a day) by 2030. It might sound like a big task, but as of 2015 only 10% of the global population lived beneath the line of extreme poverty and estimates pointed to a complete end by 2030. Unfortunately, recent figures argue that this target might not be reached following the global pandemic and might even increase by as much as half a billion people, the first time this has happened since 1990.
There are five targets:
- End extreme poverty, for everyone everywhere
- Reduce at least half the proportion of people living in poverty across all its dimensions, according to national definitions
- Implement nationally appropriate social protection systems and measures for all, including floors, and achieve substantial coverage of the poor and the vulnerable
- Ensure that all people, in particular the poor and the vulnerable, have equal rights to economic resources, as well as access to basic services, ownership and control of land and other forms of property, inheritance, natural resources, appropriate new technology and financial services, including microfinance
- Build the resilience of the poor and those in vulnerable positions and reduce their exposure and vulnerability to climate-related extreme events and other economic, social and environmental shocks and disasters
What does it mean and what can we do?
Summarized, the goal is to completely end extreme poverty and at least halve other forms of poverty (although the definitions for this may fluctuate as the numbers are decided on a national level), and ensure that there are appropriate social measures in place so as not to push these people back into poverty in case of various disasters. It also takes into account the effects of climate change on the poor.
The best course of action, as an individual, is to support projects that promote entrepreneurship and make technology more accessible to the poor. Education also plays an important part in building the resilience of the poor, which makes it a good fit as well.