Education, above all, is important as it has a key in solving various issues mentioned in previous and coming goals. A good education provides opportunities for upwards social mobility and can never be taken from you- the knowledge will always remain with you as long as your mind stays intact. More than half of all children and adolescents worldwide are not meeting the minimum proficiency standards for reading and mathematics, and the pandemic has not helped.
There are seven targets:
- Ensure all boys and girls complete free, equitable and quality primary and secondary education leading to relevant and Goal-4 effective learning outcomes
- Ensure that all boys and girls have access to quality early childhood development, care and pre-primary education so that they are ready for primary education
- Ensure equal access for all women and men to affordable and quality technical, vocational and tertiary education, including university
- Substantially increase the number of youth and adults who have the relevant skills, including technical and vocational skills, for employment, decent jobs and entrepreneurship
- Eliminate gender disparities in education and ensure equal access to all levels of education and vocational training for the vulnerable, including persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and children in vulnerable situations
- Ensure that all youth and a substantial proportion of adults, both men and women, achieve literacy and numeracy
- Ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development
What does it mean and what can we do?
There is a special focus on providing education for girls, but that is not to say that the education of boys and adults is not at least as important. It also focuses on the quality of said education and how it should prepare learners for the working market, as well as accessibility.
There are many ways to further the worldwide education, among them supporting projects that aim to get more girls into school, provide sanitary products for girls or learning material for the poor.